Tier 2 Work Visa

Tier 2 Work Visa


If you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you have been offered a skilled job in the UK, which is sponsored by a UK company who holds a Sponsor License. You will be issued with a Certificate of sponsorship from your licensed sponsor and the reference number will need to be included on your application form. As this visa is under the points-based system this certificate is one of the requirements to obtain the necessary points. Under this category the type of visa you will need depends on the type of work you are planning to undertake in the UK.

You can apply up to three months before you are due to start your job and generally receive a decision within three weeks, unless further information is required. You can start your stay up to fourteen days before your start date on your Certificate of Sponsorship.

Our team of experts will guide and support you through the whole process to provide the best chances of a successful application. We will assess your eligibility, advise on the best course of action along with the required documentation. We will support your application with a Letter of Representation highlighting the merits of your case and relating this to the relevant UK law.  We will liaise with the Home Office and your sponsor to maximise chances of success. To get your application started, speak to one of immigration experts on 0744 8077 407, complete the online contact form or get in touch on Skype

UK Immigration rules are complex and challenging which is why we work to our client’s best interest and understand what is at stake.

Fill out the form and one of our immigration experts will be in touch.


You can apply under this category if you are a skilled worker who has been offered a job to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker. To apply you will need 70 points.

To be granted a Tier 2 Visa under the general category, you must score 50 points by providing a Certificate of Sponsorship and evidence of an appropriate salary. The remaining 20 points must come from English Language Requirements and maintenance funds. There is an annual limit of visas issued (for 2013-2014, 20,700 for skilled workers with an annual salary below £152,100).

You can also switch onto this visa from several other categories including the Tier 4 adult and child study visas.

You can come to the UK with a Tier 2 (General) visa for a maximum of 5 years and 14 days, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter.

You can start your stay up to 14 days before the start date on your certificate of sponsorship.

You can apply under this category if you are an elite internationally established sportsperson or coach who will make a significant contribution to the development of your sport. To apply you must score a total of 70 points. You must obtain 50 points from a Certificate of Sponsorship and endorsement from your sport’s governing body. The remaining 20 points is from satisfying the English Language Ability and for having an appropriate salary.

For short stays as a sportsperson, you should apply under Tier 5 (Temporary workers – creative and sporting).

More information on Tier 2 Sportsperson Visas

You can apply under this category if you have been offered employment in the UK as a minister of religion, religious worker, a missionary or a member of a religious order. To apply you must score a total of 70 points.

You must obtain 50 points for a Certificate of Sponsorship, and the remaining 20 points are from satisfying the English Language Ability and for having an appropriate salary.

More information on Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visas

You can apply under this Tier 2 Visa category if you are an employee of a multinational company and you are being transferred by your overseas employer to a UK branch, either long-term or for frequent short visits. You can apply for a Tier 2 Visa as a skilled member of staff to fill a post that cannot be filled by a new recruit from the resident workforce; as a graduate trainee under a structured training programme which defines progression towards a managerial or specialist role; or under a skills transfer which allows the transfer of new graduate employees to learn the skills and knowledge required to perform their job overseas, or to impart their specialist skills or knowledge to the UK workforce.

To apply you will need 60 points. You must score 50 points by providing a Certificate of Sponsorship and evidence of an appropriate salary, and the remaining 10 points for maintenance funds.

More information on Intra-Company Transfer Visas

There is a possibility, under the Tier 2 Visa system, which allows you to change employers, however, you will need to follow strict protocol in order to ensure your visa remains valid.

You must ensure when switching to your new employer that they are officially registered as a UK sponsor. This is vital in order to avoid penalties for working illegally in the UK.

For more advice on how to ensure that you are following the correct procedure when changing employers on a Tier 2 Work Visa, get in touch with an expert immigration lawyer today.

The importance of a career and being able to make the most of work opportunities is something that we take seriously at Dsichamber. Our UK-wide offices are staffed by a highly-skilled team of experienced immigration lawyers who are fully equipped to advise you on your UK immigration options.

With two offices in London, we are also one of the most respected immigration companies in the capital. Our lawyers have a wealth of experience which could help you get your Work Permit for London.

We can help you understand whether you are eligible for a Tier 2 General Work Visa, which visa type is best for you, and guide you through each stage of your visa application process.

Our services include:

  • confirming that your documents are adequate before your application;
  • preparing a detailed Letter of Representation to accompany your application;
  • managing contact with the Home Office during your application process;
  • communicating with your Tier 2 UK Sponsor;
  • ensuring they have undertaken the Resident Labour Market Test;
  • securing your Certificate of Sponsorship; and
  • completing your application form to a highly professional standard before submitting it.

Contact us now on 020 7887 1916 or make an enquiry online to receive expert advice on your Tier 2 Work Visa options from one of our immigration lawyers.