Tier 1 Investor Visa

Tier 1 Investor Visa


Who can apply for a Tier 1 Investor Visa?

You can apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa if you intend to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK which is being held in one or more financial institute. You must be from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland; and free to spend (dispose) of the Investment funds. This visa will be granted for up to three years and four months, with a possibility to extend for another two years; should eligibility requirements be met. 

You do not require a job offer or a sponsor to apply for an Investor visa and can apply up to three months before you intend to travel. Unlike most visa applications you do not need to satisfy the English Language requirements or demonstrate you have adequate funds to support yourself.


UK Immigration rules are complex and challenging which is why we work to our client’s best interest and understand what is at stake.

Fill out the form and one of our immigration experts will be in touch.


In order to be eligible for a Tier 1 Investor Visa you must:

  • Have £2,000,000 investment funds
  • Be over 18
  • Be able to prove the money belongs to you, your spouse or partner
  • Have opened a UK bank account

Your funds need to be:

  • Held in one or more financial institutions, held in the UK or overseas
  • Disposable or free to spend in the UK

Students with financial support may be able to apply for a Tier 1 Investor visa is you are already in the UK:

  • On a Tier 4 (General) visa
  • As a student nurse
  • Writing up your thesis or re-sitting an exam
  • As a postgraduate doctor or dentist
  • A student sabbatical officer
  • An overseas nurse or midwife

As long as you invest in an active, UK business, you will be fulfilling your responsibilities as a Tier 1 Investor Visa holder.

On a Tier 1 (Investor) Visa you can:

  • Invest £2,000,000 or more in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies
  • Study or work
  • Apply to settle after three years if you invest £5,000,000
  • Apply to settle after two years if you invest £10,000,000

You can’t:

  • Get public funds
  • Invest in companies mainly engaged in property investment property management or property development
  • Work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach

You can’t work as a dentist or doctor in training unless one of the following applies:

  • You have a primary degree at bachelors level or above in medicine or dentistry from an approved UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor license; or a UK listed or recognized body
  • You worked as a doctor or dentist in training during your last visit to the UK

These conditions were not part of a previous visa’s terms or conditions.

If your application has been refused you have the right to a review within 28 days and you are able to appeal the decision within 10 working days. However, there will be no guarantee that your appeal will be successful.

If you have had a visa refused contact one of our immigration experts who can advise on your eligibility and assist you with the appeal process.

After having invested £2,000,000 you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after five years lawful residence. If you invest £5,000,000 you may apply for ILR after three years residency, and if you invest £10,000,000 you can apply for ILR after two years of lawful residency.

One of our immigration experts will arrange a free consultation with you, at the office or at your chosen location using whatever medium suits you; face to face, social media, skype or over the phone. We will run through your investment options and advise on the best course of action. Once satisfied we will start your application process, checking through your documentation to ensure satisfactory submission; as well as including a Letter of Representation in support of your application, highlighting the merits of your case. You can rely on us to liaise with the Home Office through the whole process and aid you to obtain the best outcome.