Temporary Work Visa

Temporary Work Visa

If you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switserland and intending to work in the UK for up to 12 months you can apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa, for example, to work in a role as a charity worker, sportsperson, creative worker, working under international law or on a government authorised exchange scheme. You need to have a Certificate of Sponsorship from a licensed sponsor before you can apply to come to the UK to work. Your work, training or research in the UK must relate to the work of the sponsoring organisation. However, there are some exceptions to this rule as a select number of countries whose nationals apply through the Youth Mobility Scheme can gain UK entry clearance without a job offer.

Under the Temporary work Visa category there are different types of visa and the most appropriate will depend on the role intended to undertake in the UK. The Five visa types are

Temporary Worker-Charity worker visa, Temporary Worker-Government Authorised Exchange) visa, Temporary Worker-Creative and Sporting) visa, Temporary Worker-Religious Worker visa or Temporary Worker-International Agreement visa. The Youth Mobility Scheme falls under the Tier 5 category, however, this is not exclusively an employment route.

We appreciate how difficult it can be deciding on the best category for you which is why one of our experts can advise you on your options and support you from start to finish; to obtain the desired outcome. We will guide you through the eligibility requirements, ensuring each is being met along with documentation to prove this. One of caseworkers will draft a Letter of Representation highlighting the merits of your case and relating to relevant UK law. Call us on 0744 8077 407, complete the online contact form or get in touch on Skype to discuss your options and get your application started.

UK Immigration rules are complex and challenging which is why we work to our client’s best interest and understand what is at stake.

Fill out the form and one of our immigration experts will be in touch.


Yes, if you are coming to work or perform in the UK for up to 12 months as a sportsperson, entertainer or creative artist you can apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Visa. You can do this under the Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa ‘Creative and Sporting’ bracket. It is important to note that sportspeople must fulfill the following criteria for a Tier 5 Temporary Sport Visa:  They must be: 

  • internationally established in their field; or
  • their job must make a significant contribution to the development and running of their sport at the highest level.

To apply, you must have a sponsor and a valid certificate of sponsorship with an endorsement from a recognised governing body. You also need to score 40 points on the UK Points-Based System. This comprises of 30 points from your certificate of sponsorship, and 10 points for maintenance funds. The Creative and Sporting category is not for people who want to come or who are already in the UK as entertainers or sports visitors. Read more on Visitors Visas.

Yes, if you are coming to the UK to do voluntary work for a charity for up to 12 months then you qualify as a charity worker under the Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa category. The ‘Religious Workers’ category is for people coming to the UK for preaching, pastoral or non-pastoral work, or work in a religious order such as a monastery or convent.

Currently, the fee for each dependent is…

Find another question for this section.

The Government Authorised Exchange category is for people coming to the UK through approved schemes. People in this category must aim to share knowledge, experience, best practice and to experience the UK’s social and cultural life.The International Agreement Category covers people coming to the UK under contract to do work that is governed by international law. This includes employees of overseas governments. All these circumstances may mean you are eligible to enter the UK on a Tier 5 Visa.

This is a scheme for young people from participating countries and territories that want to experience life in the UK. These countries include Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan. Your national government will be your sponsor during your stay. You will need to score 50 points based on your nationality, age and maintenance funds. You must also be outside the UK to apply.

Read more on the Youth Mobility Scheme

On 1 October 2013 the Immigration Rules changed to tackle abuse on this route, while leaving genuine applicants unaffected. When applying for entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain, we must be satisfied that you genuinely intend to undertake, and are capable of undertaking, the role for which the Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned and you will not undertake employment in the UK other than that permitted by the entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain, should it be granted. Where you are applying as a private servant in a diplomatic household, we must in particular be satisfied that you will be paid at least the National Minimum Wage. In order to assess this, we may: • request additional information and evidence, and refuse the application if the information or evidence is not provided. Any requested documents must be received by us at the address specified in the request within 28 working days of the date the request is sent, and • request you attend an interview, and refuse the application if you fail to comply with any such request without providing a reasonable explanation. In making the above assessment, we will base our decision on the balance of probabilities and may take into account your: • knowledge of the role; • relevant experience relative to skills required to do the role; • knowledge of the Sponsor in the UK; • explanation of how you were recruited; and • any other relevant information. Any information obtained during the course of an interview may be relied on for the further purpose of assessing a sponsor’s compliance with their sponsor duties.

Whatever your circumstance or profession, the expert lawyers at Dsichambers can help you understand which Temporary Worker Visa is right for you. We will answer all your questions and guide you through each stage of your enquiry or application process. Using DSI Chambers will maximise your chance of successfully gaining a Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa.

Our services include:

  • liaising with you in person, via phone or Skype at a time appropriate for you;
  • assessing your eligibility for a Tier 5 Worker Visa;
  • liaising with your UK sponsor to ensure they carry out their duties and avoid civil penalty;
  • organising your UK sponsorship;
  • ensuring that your documents are sufficient for your application;
  • preparing a Letter of Representation which will outline your case and its merits as well as referencing supporting UK immigration laws relevant to your application;
  • communicating with the Home Office throughout the process;
  • ensuring that each part of your application form is completed to the highest standard.

To discuss your eligibility for the Youth Mobility Scheme, get in touch with DSI Chambers on 020 7887 1916 or make an enquiry online.