Student Visa Extension

Student Visa Extension


If you are a non-EEA or Swiss international student currently studying in the UK on a Tier 4 Student Visa and you want to extend your stay in the UK there are several different visa options available which can allow you to do this. You can apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa extension is you wish to continue studying in the UK at Masters or Post-Doctorate level.

If you wish to wish to engage in full-time work within a UK based business or company you could switch to a UK Work Visa, which falls under Tier 2 Skilled Work visa or Tier 5 Temporary Worker visa; depending on the type of work you are looking to do.

Should you with to set up take over a UK business after you have graduated you could apply for the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa for which you need to demonstrate you have a genuine and credible business along with funds to run your business. Another option would be Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa.

To discuss your options, call one of our immigration experts on 0744 8077 407 or complete the online contact form.


UK Immigration rules are complex and challenging which is why we work to our client’s best interest and understand what is at stake.

Fill out the form and one of our immigration experts will be in touch.


You may be able to extend your Tier 4 Student Visa to continue your course or study a new one. You must:

  • Meet the eligibility requirements of this visa
  • Be present in the UK
  • Have a sponsor

Who can sponsor you:

  • A higher education Institute (HEI)
  • An overseas HEI
  • An embedded college offering pathway courses
  • An independent school

Any dependent must be included in your application if they are on your current visa, including those that have turned 18 during your stay.

There are various work visas that you could switch to. Common options are:

Tier 2 (General) Visa which can allow you work in the UK for a further five years; as a Skilled worker. You would need to search for employment opportunities available to you with organisations that hold a Sponsorhsip License. You must have an undergraduate degree along with a plausible job offer and salary of £20,800 or more.

Tier 5 Temporary Work Visa which tends to be a popular choice as a post study work visa for those wishing to remain in the UK to work. You are eligible to switch to this category if you have an undergraduate degree or completed 12 months of a PhD.

A Tier 1 Graduate Entrpreneur Visa is available to those who have an undergraduate degree, English language requirement and the ability to demonstrate adequate funds to support oneself. There is no requirement to have a sponsorship, however, you need to have an endorsement and the entrepreneur is only able to start their business once the visa has been granted. This is usually granted for ten months. There are additional criteria that must be met. Call us on 020 7887 1916 to discuss your options today

Young people (18-30) are also able to switch from a Tier 4 Visa to a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa, although this is dependent upon their nationalities.

We can appreciate that as a student, spending your years of university in the UK would evoke the ambition to remain in the UK to work. We will assist you with all aspects of your application, advising you on the best options for you, your options to switch or extend and take you through each step; ensuring the best outcome along the way.

We will support you to gather all the necessary documents to complete, complete your application form with a Letter of Representation included, highlighting your merits and relating it to the law to make certain a string application is being submitted. Contact one of immigration experts today on 0744 8077 407, complete the online contact form or drop us a line on social media.