Sportsperson Visa

Sportsperson Visa


The Sportsperson visa falls under the points-based category, specifically the Tier 2 Skilled Worker Visa, allowing you to enter and live in the UK for a maximum of three years with the option to extend for a further three years.

If you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you can apply for a Tier 2 Sportsperson visa if you are an elite sportsperson or qualified coach who is recognised by the governing body of your sport as being at the highest level of your profession internationally. This governing body must endorse your application and supply you with a Certificate of sponsorship; and your employment should develop your sport in the UK at the highest level; you must make an exceptional difference to your sport in the UK.

You can apply up to three months before you are due to start your role and the application generally takes three weeks to receive a decision. 

We will guide you through the eligibility requirements, ensuring each is being met along with documentation to prove this. One of caseworkers will draft a Letter of Representation highlighting the merits of your case and relating to relevant UK law. Call us on 0744 8077 407, complete the online contact form or get in touch on Skype to discuss your options and get your application for a Sportsperson Visa started.


UK Immigration rules are complex and challenging which is why we work to our client’s best interest and understand what is at stake.

Fill out the form and one of our immigration experts will be in touch.


To be eligible for a UK Sportsperson Visa, you must be able to prove all of the following:

  • you are an elite sportsperson or qualified coach;
  • you are recognised by your sport’s governing body as being at the top level of your profession;
  • your sport’s governing body is eligible to employ foreign workers and will endorse your visa application;
  • your employment will positively impact your sport in the UK at an international level.

There is a possibility to extend a Sportsperson Visa in the UK and you can apply for this extension when your current visa is close to expiring. An extension will allow you to stay in the country for an additional three years if granted.

Yes – you can work or do voluntary work for a second employer while in the UK on a Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa. However, this work cannot impact your role as a sportsperson and you must not begin this job until you have begun working for your registered sponsor.

Our team of expert immigration lawyers can help you find out if you are eligible for a Tier 2  Sportsperson Visa.

Our services include:

  • approving your documents as sufficient before beginning your application;
  • providing you with a Letter of Representation to accompany your application. This letter gives details on the merits of your case and includes relevant UK immigration laws in support of your application;
  • mediating with the Home Office during your application process;
  • arranging and liaising with your UK Sponsor/governing sports body;
  • ensuring your employer has correctly undertaken the Resident Labour Test;
  • obtaining your Certificate of Sponsorship; and
  • completing your application using the correct forms to the highest standard.

Contact one of our immigration advisers using our online enquiry form or by calling 0744 8077 407 now for tailored information on your enquiry and application for a UK Sportsperson Visa.