Permanent Residence Card

Permanent Residence Card

Although not required, there are benefits of applying for a permanent residence card as it can be beneficial when dealing with authorities or for administrative purposes to verify that you have a job, sufficient resources and health insurance; demonstrating you have been appropriately exercising your Treaty Rights.

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK until 2021.

If you are an EEA national and have been living in the UK for less than five years, you can apply for an EEA Residence card that lasts for five years, after which you may be eligible to apply for an EEA permanent residence card.

Your card will not be valid after December 2020. You and your family can apply for ‘settled status’ if you want to continue living in the UK after June 2021, however, this scheme will be fully open by March 2019.

In an uncertain and changing environment, as a result of Brexit, a permanent residence card can give you the confidence that you are a settled resident in the UK; with documentary evidence to support this. Contact one of our EEA immigration experts who can evaluate your individual situation and advise you on how the changes in legislation may potentially affect you; as well as advising you on your application process. We will help you gather all the relevant evidence and liaise with the Home Office on your behalf; ensuring every step of the way chances of success are maximised. Call us on 0744 8077 407, complete the online contact form or get in touch on social media.

UK Immigration rules are complex and challenging which is why we work to our client’s best interest and understand what is at stake.

Fill out the form and one of our immigration experts will be in touch.


If you have recently arrived in the UK and hope to settle down, it makes sense to secure your position by holding a document which states when you arrived.

Likewise, if you are worried about the outcome of the Brexit negotiations and want a document that states you are a resident of the UK, the EEA Residence Card is ideal.

The card lasts for five years, after which time it is expected that applicants will apply for EEA Permanent Residence

No, the EEA Residence Card refers to EEA immigration law. A visa, on the other hand, is for people who are subject to UK immigration law, such as those from outside the EEA.

You may apply for the card from inside the UK, but you do not need it in order to be able to visit, live or work in the UK. If you are from outside the EEA and do not meet the requirements of the EEA Permanent Residence in the UK, you may need to apply for another UK visa.

There is currently no change to the law for EEA residents hoping to live and work in the UK. Until the rights of EU residents living in the UK have been guaranteed, some people are choosing to apply for their Residence or Permanent Residence Card.

The Home Office has not stated that this is necessary, but they have stepped up their efforts to streamline the process through the online system and the European Passport Return Service. There has been increased demand for EEA PR and Residence Cards, which suggests some people are applying for these early, in anticipation of them becoming mandatory.

At this stage, it is not mandatory to apply for a Residence Card, but we can help you with your application if you choose to do so.

You do not need to apply for a residence card as a family member of an EEA or Swiss national, but it can:

  • help you re-enter the country more quickly and easily if you travel abroad
  • show employers you’re allowed to work in the UK
  • help prove you qualify for certain benefits and services

You must apply for a residence card if you’re an extended family member.

You must apply for a derivative right of residence card if you’re the carer of an EEA citizen or UK national, the carer’s child, or the child of a former worker from the EEA and you’re currently in education.

As part of your EEA Permanent Residence application, you are able to include your spouse, civil partner, children and other relatives if they are currently in the UK with you and are dependent on you, or part of your household, even if they are a non-EEA national.

Applications such as this one can seem very daunting and time-consuming; those considering applying for Residence Cards or PR Cards are often unsure of whether they are mandatory, whether they qualify or what they can be used for.

At Dsichambers we can answer any questions you have, simplifying the EEA Residence Card application process for you, should you decide to apply.

One of our experienced immigration lawyers will:

  • Meet with/contact you within a day of first-contact
  • Walk you through your next steps and requirements
  • Ensure you are eligible for the Residence Card
  • Perform a full document check to ensure that you have sufficient evidence for your application
  • Consult with you in person, via phone or Skype at a suitable time
  • Prepare a Letter of Representation which states your case details and its merits in support of your application. This letter also references relevant UK immigration laws, regulations and cases to support your application
  • Liaise with the Home Office for the duration of your application
  • Complete your application form in full to the highest standard.