Dependent Child Visa

Family Visa


The Dependent Child visa allows eligible non-EEA dependent children of a British Citizen to enter and remain in the UK, usually they will be granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)..

To be eligible for a UK Child Dependent Visa the child must be:

Be under the age of 18 years old

Not be leading an independent life

Not married or in a civil partnership

Not formed an independent family unit

There are supplementary requirements with more for an adopted child. Contact us on to discuss or fill in the online contact form 

If the parent of the dependent child wishes to apply as a partner or parent in order to enter or remain in the UK they must met the financial requirements, whereas, all other cases require the parent to show they can accommodate the child without recourse to public funds.

In some cases, depending on the settlement status of the parent(s), the child may need to make an application as a points-based system (PBS) dependent.

As long as the child is eligible for a Dependent Child Visa, they will be granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK. The child can usually apply for British Naturalisation once they have lived in the UK for a continuous five years.

Here at DSI Chambers we appreciate how much having your family members around you means which is why our immigration experts will submit a strong application form backed with solid evidence to obtain the best outcome. You application form will be accompanied by a Letter of Representation highlighting the merits of your case and relevant law. We will liaise with the Home Office until a decision is made. Contact a member of our team on or complete the online contact form to discuss the chances of being approved for a UK Dependent Child Visa and get the application started.

UK Immigration rules are complex and challenging which is why we work to our client’s best interest and understand what is at stake.

Fill out the form and one of our immigration experts will be in touch.


You are able to apply for permission to enter or stay in the UK as a parent of a child (under 18 years old) who is a British Citizen or is present and settled in the UK. 

You will need to demonstrate :

  • You have sole responsibility for the child or access rights, and the child does not live an independent life, however, if your share parental responsibility the child’s other parent must not be your partner.
  • You can financially support yourself and your child without any recourse to public funds
  • You have a good knowledge of English

If you meet the requirements you will be granted a temporary visa for 30 months after which you will be eligible for a further 30 months; should you continue to meet the requirements. Once you have had five years lawful residence in the UK you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

If you are applying from outside the UK you must obtain the visa before travelling to the UK.

If you are applying from within the UK, in order to be eligible you must:

  • Not be in breach of Immigration Rules (excluding overstaying for less than 28 days)
  • Not be in the UK on another type of Visitor Visa or on temporary admission
  • Not be in the UK with permission to stay for fewer than six months (unless you are on a fiancé or proposed civil partner visa

As it currently stands, there is no English Language requirement for children entering on a Dependent Visa UK. However, if they become a British Citizen through Naturalisation, they will need to pass an English Language Test.

One of our immigration experts will assist with each step of the application process, ensuring essential requirements are being properly met and demonstrated in order to reach the successful outcome required. When applying for this type of Visa the application form needs to be completed correctly, along with sufficient evidence to demonstrate the legitimacy of your relationship as this could be the difference between a successful and unsuccessful decision.

We will consult with you via phone, in person (onsite or at your preferred location) or via social media and Skype. We will tailor our consultation and communication methods to your individual needs.

We will assess your eligibility for a Fiance or Proposed Civil Partner Visa, checking through all documentation and evidence to satisfy the Home Office requirements; as well as completing your application form

We will highlight the merits of your case, using relevant legislation to support your application.

You will be given a letter of Representation which will be then submitted with your application

We will liase with the Home Office until a decision is made

Contact us now on (+44) 20 7887 1916, complete the online form or send us an email to get in touch with one of our immigration lawyers about your Fiance or Proposed Civil Partner Visa.

Currently, the fee for each dependent is…

Find another question for this section.